Monday, February 28, 2011

The 5 year Plan

I do hate my job. While there are many days where I don't mind being a corporate accountant, there are SOOOO many more days that I just hate it. I hate doing the same timeline month after month and the same entries too. What I really want to do is.....well..... something else.

Those who know me know that if I could dream of my perfect job it would be woodworking and teaching other woman/men how to use power tools and empower them to be able to do projects on their own as well. I love to build things, but honestly if I had to build for others all the time, it wouldn't be as much fun. But to teach others to do it themselves and just help them get started and watch that sparkle in their eye as they do their first project......wow.

A dear sweet wonderful woman I know named Tasha suggested that I take things slowly. If I hate being an accountant then I should make a 5 year plan. A plan to slowly build up the idea of teaching/empowering woman to build or repair things around their house. Start slowly by blogging and doing small projects. Get my name out there and perhaps do a little demo here or there on a weekend to get myself out there. I already have one planned with my lady friends in Seattle in a few months (we need it to be warm enough to work outside since nobody has the room in their garage for our group). I will show them about the tools, have them practice some of the skills by building something small like a kid's size picnic table or something simple like that.

Anyway, by the time the 5 years goes by I should be able to make it more of a full time thing instead of a weekend or evening thing. And along the way, I can try to get us in a financial position that can survive me doing it full time instead of the solid money in accounting.

So what do you think? Would woman and men want to come and have either 1 on 1 or super small group classes where its okay to know nothing about tools. Everyone is welcome to come and learn and find camaraderie. To empower themselves to take on those home improvement projects like moulding and laminate flooring without fears of failure? Can I do such a thing? Would people come?

Well, I have 5 years to find out right?

No comments: