Sunday, March 28, 2010

Our Playroom BEFORE

Since the day I moved in I have thought about that wainscotting...Do I like it?...Do I hate it?...Yup, I pretty much hate it. The room has irked me from day one because when we moved in it had red above the wood. Red is not bad (Hard to paint over) but not overall bad. The bad part was that they had done some kind of faux treatment that made the walls untouchable. They felt like SANDPAPER. It really hurt as we moved stuff in and you fell against it.

It took 2 layers of primer (thick thick primer) to make it soft enough to the touch to, well, touch. Then I painted it a nice ponytail color. Its a soft neutral that I thought would warm the place up. The result was this. And YES, I realize it looks like a pigsty. Let's be real here. I have 2 kids who use this playroom a LOT. I have a husband and 2 kids who all think my desk is the dumping zone for the stuff they don't want to put away. AND, I had already moved all the toys from around the room to this side of the room so I could start on the other wall. So yeah, its a mess. Most of the rooms I will do will start out looking like this because I can't just empty a room to work on it. I have to shift stuff around so we can still USE our house while I work on it. So ignore the stacks of papers and toys and just look at the walls and pretend the rest isn't there okay?





















So that side is a mess because I started with this wall behind my son in this picture.

While it was warm, I still had a nagging hatred of that wainscotting. It just felt very old and very dark. We went back and forth on that for nearly 2 years. I wanted it gone, but wasn't sure how to go about it. Robert liked it and was fine with painting it white or keeping it. In the end he gives me the freedom to choose if it goes or stays so I finally decided it should GO!

Stay Tuned for the pictures and steps of the overhaul!

No comments: