Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Dining Room

So I took a few weeks break after the playroom to go over ideas of what I wanted to do for the dining room. Let's face it, its HORRIBLE in there. From what I hear, back in the day, people really liked this flooring....I can't believe it. I am sure its true since my mom said it was true, but I can't believe it.

There is so much I want to change in there. First and foremost I want to change the floor. The old lanolium looks like this.....



I HATE this. I have issues with patterns. Most patterns will make me dizzy. I wear solid colored clothes and can't even look at my daughter much on days her daddy dresses her in a striped shirt. I look because she is awesome and my daughter, but I can't relax and feel normal until she is in more solid clothes though. This floor pattern makes me dizzy.

But I get ahead of myself. I should start with a picture of the room. Or a few pictures since its a larger room and I have to get all the angles. And YES, once again I start with a messy room. My kids had the games out, and we had shoved the table aside with stuff on it to tackle some errant ants that thought we wanted to share dinner. So, brass light fixture (Ug!), mismatch hodgepodge of types of decor collected over the years, a horrible patterned floor.....I have a LOT of work to do in here.




So why do we have 2 dining room tables you ask....well, we have the room for them. We had this extra corner and I wanted to build something. I hadn't built anything for awhile and just really wanted to build a bench seat and table. So I did. It is great for having the adults at one table and the kids at another, and great when my brother in law and his wife and 4 kids come over. The kids like to use it for games, arts and craft and later it could be used for homework etc.

Sometimes I just have to build something. That time it was the bench and table. Who knows what whim will take me next!

Back to the room. Here is another angle with the kitchen. Really the kitchen and dining room are all one room. I plan on incorporating the colors etc into both and bring it together that way.




So as you can see, there is lots to do still. So far I have gotten the walls painted, the trim painted, some curtains possibly picked out. And now the room is a bigger mess with paint cans and packaging everywhere. Its a wonder we can find the table to even sit down and eat. Thank goodness my daughter has her high chair still so I know she has a safe clean place to eat. My son has his spot too. My poor husband I have been standing to eat.

Here is a few pictures of the progress I have made. Our biggest grief has been the color. We wanted a shade of green, but green is SOOO hard to get the right shade. I am not sure if we got it quite right, but I am holding my opinion until the new floor is installed, because that made change things. Sigh. Life would be so much easier if I could just empty a room before working on it. Too bad that just isn't possible. So I guess if you bother to follow me as I redo all the rooms in the house, you are going to see a lot of mess. LOL.



Turns out the bench seat is handy for using as a table to paint the trim white!


I think the color for the most part looks blue in pictures and in some differnent lighting schemes. I think it just had a touch too much blue in it. I would have liked a touch closer to sage green, but again, I am going to hold out an opinion for a bit. It took a month to pick out that color, I don't want to have to do it again!

From this next angle with the playroom in eyesight, it finally looks green!

I think the white trim really made the room look better. I think I might replace the trim once I redo the floor. That way I can install matching trim to the playroom trim I put in before.
Curtain choice attempt #1....SOOO SOOO Bad. I hated it and returned it the next day.
Curtain Attempt #2. The hubby loves these. I LOVE the curtains...just not 100% convinced they are right for the room. I may end up just doing roman shades or something that sits inside the window frame instead of covering the top part. And while my camera could not capture the color of the curtain no matter what I tried. You will have to believe me that they are a beautiful shade of green. They don't clash against the wall as much as they appear to in the pictures.


Well folks, that is as far as I have gotten. Stay tuned for more work and re-setting up the room!

No comments: