Thursday, December 16, 2010

Some Changes

Robert wanted to have me change up a few things. So I did. He didn't feel the attic was large enough. So I lifted the roof a good 3-4  inches. I have also finally built the railing for the patios. Its taking a long time to do each little step, but its good work and it feels good to have stuff done. Sometimes its hard to do all the sanding by hand and designing as I go, but I am happy with the progress.

Here you see the raised roof. As you can see, I did a little boo-boo. I was twisting this around accidentally hit the basketball hoop and broke the glue on the whole roof structure. The nails kept it in place, but I needed to hurry and build the railings to support the attic.


My goofy husband helping me illustrate the height of this massive dollhouse!


This is my tester railing. I wasn't sure on the design. In the end, I simply can't do better. I don't have the money (hence me making this all from scrap wood) so I had to do what I could do with my own skill, as low as they are. Anyway, my skills are minimal at best, so a boring simple plain railing was all I could make happen.


What a lucky find in my wood box. I had one single piece of trim left that was a nice full 8 feet long. It was already while too which is great since I will be painting a good part of the dollhouse white. :-) It was JUST long enough to wrap around the bottom of the dollhouse.


So, I know these pictures are out of order, but I just didn't have the energy to load them one by one. I got more of the railing done and decided to set some of the doll furniture into it just to see how it would look. Can you say CUTE!!!!! I am loving it. I MAY have to spend some time playing with the dollhouse once its built. I never had a dollhouse growing up.


The overall look of it before I lowered it to the ground. It was just getting too tall for me to work on while still on the table.


A close up picture of the furniture. Is this just the cutest patio ever!!! Okay, some day I need to build a life size room. I really do! Here you see another little boo-boo. Between the tester railing I used to show Robert what it would look like and the final sets of railing, I must have changed the width of my table saw and stop block. Oops. The new railing on the side and back are just a HAIR wider. Oh well, nobody said I was perfect.




I do love this patio!!!


2 comments:

Susan said...

This is gorgeous! Did you use glue and nails - I don't see any kreg holes. Also please tell me how you built those awesome stairs???? I want to build a superhero version for my son! thanks!

Sawdustmomma said...

Yes, glue and nails. I had no plans so I literally took the piece of wood and just kept trying different heights and stair depths until they looked okay. Cut out the two sides from plywood then used 1/4 inch ply for the fronts of each stair. Then took scraps of 1 by 2s and cut small stair treads out. I used a super low grit sand paper to shape them as I wanted. It wasnt hard since I wasnt being perfect. This whole project was a scrap wood project to clean up the scrap pile. If only I had the kreg jig at this time I could have done a lot more. We live and learn and evolve as woodworkers. I would love to see pics of your version of this!