Sunday, September 18, 2011

Projects On the Rise

After finishing the sign and the last set of orders, I was able to relax this last week and only work on one project. I have a friend who ordered a custom bench and it has been fun to work with her on the design and making it come to life. Its a simple bench based on Anna's Spa Bench. Well, it started out as that and then got bigger and the trim got adjusted and this was my first attempt at making anything other than a straight piece of board as the bottom trim. 

Here are some progress photos and some of the staining I did tonight. I can't seem to get to my photos I have of the beginning of the project. The initial try at the base trim wasn't all that great, but with a little rounding out, I like it a lot better. It is not sure fancy, but the simplicity of it is really nice. 




I always try to explain to people how staining is like magic to a project. You take this simple bench and while it is pretty enough without stain (it doesn't look as good in the photos as it did in person), but check out the look with a little dark walnut stain! The backing is laying on the table in front of it. I wanted to stain it separately and then attach it once complete. It helps me to be able to reach all the way through sometimes.




And yes, I will go back and stain the underside as well. I just forgot to do it first like I normally do.

I sold my old dining room table and chairs. We now have only tables I have built in our house. This makes me happy. It also makes me desperate for chairs since we are down to the bench I had built before and some computer chairs for around the table for dinner. 

Once I complete this project and she picks it up, I have to build me some dining room chairs. I also need to build another 10 chairs for the school per our agreement. So it looks like I will be neck deep in some chairs for awhile. Hahaha. Can't complain though. It is nice to be busy.

No comments: