Friday, April 15, 2011

2 weeks

Its been a crazy couple weeks. I am so sorry it has taken me so long to update. I put this table up on CL. I got a couple hits, but they wanted slightly shorter table. Or the same size, but different colors. We did a big waiting game on one lady who said she wanted to finish getting a bid from her contractor and then would see who's was cheaper. Either his or my custom build. (she wanted a different color). And another who got upset when she said she wanted a table that was 7 ft long instead of 8 because her 66inch table was the perfect length. When I pointed out that 66 inches was a lot shorter than 7 ft she game me a "I'll think about it" and I knew she wouldn't email again. I even said it nicely, but I think she was embarrassed.

The other lady got all the way to saying she would come by the next day to sign a contract for a custom built table, before backing out. Ack, its a long story, but not worth writing about. In the end, all the deals fell through. So I get to feel a bit like a loser, but I am not out of the game all the way. While this lady flaked at the last second for a store bought table (ick), I am still getting great responses from people I meet that see either pictures of the table or see it in person. Haha, even the guy setting up my 401K was ready to ask me to build a coffee table and end tables once he saw the picture of my table. So I know I do good work and I know people like them.

We gave in and brought the table inside though because I wanted to see how it looked and felt. I have to say I still LOVE it. I love the feel, the look, the durability (other than if you leave water on a spot), and having our family and friends around the table.

I am currently reading up on the legal stuff to see how to set up a company to legally build and sell furniture. While I wouldn't build a table this big again to sell unless pre-ordered, I wouldn't mind building a coffee table or end tables for sale. There are so many people who are encouraging me to expand my building and sell, its still the logistics that I have to work out. We even have a huge Saturday market that I could rent a booth from and sell tables at. I imagine small picnic tables wouldn't take up a lot of room and I could have pictures of other items I can build and let them order. It could flop too, but I guess I will never know if I don't try.

It does feel good to have so many people cheering for me though. I would have business coming out of my ears if there was a simple and cheap way to ship furniture across the US to ladies in my Mom's Group. At least it feels great to do something I love on the side to make my current job livable.

No comments: