Monday, April 25, 2011

To Prove A Point

So, I figured I would see if I worked more during the week if I would feel better about how little I can build on the weekend. I would have to say, so far I am happy. I left work at 4:30, drove home, picked up my daughter and we got to the house by 5:30. I made some dinner for us and we talked and ate until 6:30. Then a little play time and got her to bed just after 7. Not bad and I was able to shorten the nighttime routine a bit which is great because its been getting longer with more stalling and her trying to add more things to the routine.

Anyway, so after she was in bed, I changed into sawdusty clothes and got into the garage finally. I finished cutting all the boards and sadly I had 2-3 that were just too warped to use. My sheet of plywood had been slightly warped, but became more warped as I cut the straighter parts off. What was left had nothing to hold it back and totally curved on me. Luckily have been cleaning the garage lately and my friend took a load of my scrap and junk wood to the dump for me. While cleaning the garage I found a few larger pieces of scrap plywood that was blissfully straight. So I was able to cut a few new boards to replace my warped ones.

Then I sanded each piece until I had only 5 shelves (out of 24) left. By then my hand was numb for the vibration of the sander and I had to stop. Plus it was just after 9 and I was wanting to come inside and chat with my husband.

This boring narrative demonstrates a few things to me. I can get a lot done in a short time period when I put my mind to it, and its easier to fit in the work at night during the week than attempting any weekend time in the garage.

The better question is how long can I keep this up. I get up at 5:40 when my daughter gets up EVERY morning. UG. Then we are dressed and I drop her and my son off at school/daycare by just after 7. Then at work by 8 after my commute. Work until 4:30, then home to cook dinner, bedtimes for the kids, and hopefully in the garage by 7:30 and if I am lucky I can go until 9 or 10 before being too tired. Then to bed by 10:30 or 11......yeah......I may need a caffeine IV drip to keep up, but at least I can get something done this way.

My hope is the tomorrow I can lay out all the shelves and stain them. I learned its WAY easier to stain and shellac shelves BEFORE assembly. Less work sanding in the corners etc. I hope soon I will have less boring things to write about and more exciting photos of projects. I hope everyone else's projects are coming along too!

No comments: