Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Big Girl Tools

Recently I thought about the fact that I am using 10 year old tools in the base range cost. I got the cheapest models and hoped for the best. I have gotten new blades and babied them all I could. Tonight I was thwarted in my plans to cut the shelves for the built in bookshelves I am building in the playroom. We have run out of room in the reading room and the built ins I built in there are over full already.

I went out there and almost from the first moment, I started having trouble with my circular saw. I have a very sad cheapo Skill Saw brand. Nothing against them, but this this has always been a bear to use. I bought a new blade recently (which could be a year ago with how bad I am with remembering time lines), which should mean its still sharp and good. Reading online, I am following all the lovely rules to prevent binding etc, but the blasted thing was binding and stopping no matter what I did. I always first do a pass at 1/4 inch or less just to break the surface which prevents a lot of splitting and sanding on the cutting edge. I swear this saw was binding on just that!!!

I am sure my poor blade is either dirty from cutting wet wood for the dining room table or just dull from all the projects I have done with it (the whole entertainment center among other things). It really just boils down to me needing big girl tools. I need more power, more accuracy and more money to afford such luxuries. I am taking so much time trying to get my old stuff to work that it may be worth it to upgrade.

A week ago I finally went out and upgraded my miter saw to a sliding compound miter saw which has left me breathless. The thing practically jumps out of my hand with all the power it has. My old miter saw will be going on to a friend of mine who deserves a new saw. My old one actually worked really well for how old it is, but again it needs a new blade to really shine again. I just wanted to cut wider wood than my old one could do so I wanted a sliding miter saw. This was a really big splurge for me. I would normally NEVER spend $200 on myself or a tool, but if I am going to try to start a business building things on the side, I need to be able to work at a more professional level of tools as well.

So I guess all that is left is find the money tree to pay for it. Or do I need a sugar daddy? Or an anonymous donor to my paypal account? haha. The sad part is, an old circular saw is not my only big money outlay I may need to get my business up and running. I really need to set up a ventilation system for the sawdust to make it safer for me to build so much in a closed garage. A side business takes money to make money, but I really was hoping to not have to upgrade my tools. Having the new miter saw really has shown me the sweet side of MORE POWER!!! I just don't think my little 12 amp circular saw imagined it would be cutting as many plywood sheets as I have cut since I bought it.

Anyone rich out there that would like to donate to the cause? No? Sigh, guess I will have to just wait and save. Some day though......some day.......

No comments: