Monday, June 6, 2011

Day 3 of Castle Building

Today, I accomplished......Nothing.....I did buy about 10 more 2x4s tonight........

Well I once again had a long discussion with Big Blue trying to figure out what I can use for the siding. The thing is I really want to build it right. BUT, that costs a lot of money. The kit (the inspiration) is $7,000, but to build it will probably run me about $500. I was HOPING to do it for closer to $300 but that just wont happen.

Which means, I need funding. I could save up little here and there and build it over the course of the summer, but we all know the summer is when it is meant to be played with. So I am going to list a bunch of small items on CL and hope I can sell enough to raise the money for the rest. I have spent probably close to $220 dollars already. I need to buy the siding (which to buy the stuff that wont mold or fall apart in the future would be $200 just for that!). I can do a more economical buy and get this stuff that you normally use on walls. Or rather its the plywood that they put after the 2x4 framing, but before the siding. With the proper primer and paint, you can make it last quite a few years, but if water gets into it, there is always the chance of mold or mildew. That plywood costs about half the price of the actually siding stuff.

So either way, I am looking at 100-200 just for siding. Not to mention that we want to paint it to look like a castle and I want to buy some Plexiglas for the windows. Yeah, I should have saved up a LOT more money before starting this project. What to sell.....what to sell.......

No comments: