Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sunny Sunday

I don't feel like I got very much done today, but my ever supportive husband insists I did a lot. I suppose if I didn't stop to mow the yard or run to Big Blue with the whole family I might have gotten more done. BUT, this project, while awesome, still rates #2 to family time. :-)

Okay, so I spend some time on windows and doors today. I framed in both large windows as well as the front door. It was super hot outside so that slowed me down in some ways. I had to stop more often for water, but I didn't have to wait long to put a second coat of paint on the wood I was painting. This in itself is so great. I don't have patience waiting for paint to dry.

Framed in window in the tower. I need to go back and re-caulk the top. Looks like I missed a little bit there. This will look crisp and cool once I put the exterior trim on there.


Stepping back to see the more clean view of the front door with the frame in there. This is probably a good time to explain why the little windows did NOT get framed in. I was talking to my friend who knows construction about my unhappiness with the "courtyard" in front. I don't like that it is open. It just doesn't work in Oregon with our rain. I would like to make it more of a sun room kind of shape and feel. Just simple framing and perhaps Plexiglas or clear plastic or SOMETHING clear to enclose it, but yet still feel open. The problem is the design so far. In order to have an angled roof line to drain the rain water, I will have to move the windows. I would like the roof to come out from below those 2 windows and slope down similar to the slope of the great room's roof.

Now if you look at the door between the courtyard and the great room, you will see there is no room to slope down from below the windows and be able to clear the door. If we enclose the courtyard then I don't HAVE to build a door for that side. I love that idea. So I was discussing the design and it was decided the only way to do this is to break out the Sawzall and actually move those windows UP. This would give me the room I need.

I realize this will break from the original inspiration playhouse design, but while it will look different, it will work better for me and the family. 


Here is the first screened window. I do not particularly like the way I did it, but it will work, function and not be too ugly. Its a little ugly right now, but once I put on the exterior trim, I think it will look a lot better. As you can see, I also got the first piece of the bottom trim installed. So this wall is just about done. 4 pieces of trim around that window and I wont have to touch this side again. :-)


Here is a closeup of the screened window. It looks a bit worse for wear because I caulked all the gaps to make sure I can keep out at least SOME of the water. I built a simple square frame and then wrapped screen material around the edge and stapled it in place. then put the from on the outside edge of the window ledge and screwed it in all the way around. It will be a permanent screen. The trim will be 2.5 inches wide and come down and leave only about 1/4 of an inch of the screened frame showing from the outside. Again, not the prettiest of most perfect design, but it will work for a playhouse. I could have build one with a metal frame with real screen parts, but I just didn't want to have metal on the playhouse.


Okay, so this angle shows both the front door and window framing. I can't wait to get the bottom trim done as well.


Even without the trim, I think the front door looks prettier framed in.


I am hoping for lots of sunshine and early bedtimes for the kids this week so I can get through some of this trim work. It would go faster too if I would just buy some more white trim paint. I am scraping the bottom of the can trying to stretch it. :-( I just didn't want to spend more money! I need to start taking donations, sigh.

Stay tuned for more trim and punch list items.

No comments: