Saturday, July 23, 2011

Ticking off the Punch List

So I put together a punch list this last week of everything I needed to do on the playhouse. The list is not too extensive, but still a lot of work left to do.


So, I got started by adding the top trim to the tower. This was a major pain in the booty. Holding something while screwing it in while standing on a ladder with a level balanced on top....yeah, it was harder than I thought to do it without help. I did manage it and I think I may have even gotten it level which would be equally amazing! We had been having rain again this last week so I had boarded up the window to keep the majority of the rain out until the rains stopped. It looks a lot more like a castle now! :-)


The view from the front. I really needed air while I painted inside the tower so I had removed the boards from the front. But, it was still raining on and off. Turns out the painter's tape I was using had plastic attached to help with splatter. This turned out to be just the ticket. I could attach the tape  to the top of the inside of the window and then tape it down outside. This meant any water dripping from the roof would hit the plastic and run down and away instead of inside the playhouse. :-)


I was able to begin trimming out the fake fireplace. This shot shows the white trim casing and peaks in at the stairs I STILL need to enclose. I swear I will get to it soon! 


While my husband and I agreed on the yellow for the "great room", we let our son dictate the color of the tower. He chose purple. I tried to keep it about the same color saturation as the yellow so its a pretty bright purple. I still have the painter's tape on it in this shot, but it gives you an idea of the color. 


And finally I was able to take everything off the windows since the rains are stopped and will stay stopped for at least 10 more days. Woohoo!! I got out there this morning and painted the whole exterior which gave me a warm fuzzy feeling of getting close to completing the project. Plus it was one more thing on the punch list to complete. It does look lovely and more like a castle being grey. I love how all the colors of the interior show through the window and door.


From this angle you can see a sneak peak at the fake fireplace that is also now complete.


And here is the fake fireplace that leads to the tower. I added a cute little mantle. The mantle is made up of a 2x4 support piece topped with a 4.5 inch deep piece of plain white wood painted to match. I got some crown moulding and corner attachments and surrounded the underside. It may be fun to take a small vase and permanently glue it to the fireplace mantle, and maybe add a family photos permanently attached to the wall above the mantle to give it a more finished look. You can also see the first piece of cedar I put in for the window ledge. Once I have the window framed in I can build the screens and windows. It wont take me long to cut the other pieces, but it will take a bit to paint them white.




Stay tuned. There is so much more to come!

No comments: