Sunday, July 17, 2011

What a Wacky Weekend

Let's start by saying that I love my kids. What I DON'T love is having to come home when I barely left the house because the toilets are overflowing from something one of them must have put in there. My Friday began this way. I came back home and called into work. I finished cleaning up the mess after my husband did the majority of the work. He had almost all the water mopped up, but I had to make the calls for a plumber. What a fiasco!!! It was the kid's bathroom that started it. It has been having a bit of trouble for about a week on and off. That morning my son did his morning pee and flushed. Instead of going down it went UP. Eeek. So my husband plunged it and all seemed good. Until my daughter peed in our bathroom and when she tried to flush it also went up and over. Sigh. Plumbers didn't want to come out until Tuesday and I wanted to be able to use an upstairs bathroom instead of walking downstairs to the 3rd toilet in the middle of the night. Not to mention the massive amount of towels we used to mop up the water were all sitting wet in the shower and we couldn't use the washer. We tested it and sure enough when the water would drain from the washing machine, the water in both toilets would start to rise bringing forth stuff we would rather not describe.

In the end we got the plumber to come out Saturday morning and then we scrubbed all the bathrooms like we haven't probably done since we moved it. They are super mega cleaned. Bonus since they had to remove the toilet (yup, that bad of a blockage) I was able to paint behind the toilet really quickly. :-)

So you can imagine I wasn't even able to begin on any normal work for the playhouse until Saturday afternoon during nap time. I did manage to finish the roof on the tower on Friday while waiting for the call from the plumber. I used up all the last of the shingles I had and lo and behold I needed 5 more. Luckily at our local Home Depot, the sell shingles individually as well for just this instance. Unluckily for me, I mistook one black for a different black and ended up with 5 black, but not the same black as I had shingles. I don't mind though. I highly doubt anyone will be checking out the tower roof and as long as they work, I don't mind that they don't match. I didn't take a picture of it though. I am not sure why. Just forgot I guess.

Did I mention it was raining really hard on Saturday as well. So that meant I wasn't really able to do a lot of exterior work on the playhouse. So instead I went inside. Apparently I do good work on roofs etc because its nice and dry inside. So I did what I could. I primered the "great room" and started to paint the trim white. After the primer was dry I painted the yellow we picked out. The picture on my cell phone didn't really show the color all that well though. Because it really is a much brighter yellow that the picture shows.

 
 
Today with continued rain I tackled the tower. I only got as far as primer, but its progress at least. I also got most of the fireplace built as well. I finished that after the sun went down so I couldn't snap a picture though. It is going to be fabulous! I love how the white trim looks around the fireplace/door to the tower. Once I put on the mini-mantle it will look even more like a fireplace. :-)
 
My awesome brother called me and gave me some wonderful advice on building the windows. I am so jealous about how great his look. He gets to take a slightly easier route since he is in San Diego where it is sunny and very rarely rains. Here in Oregon I have to worry a lot more about rain and water so my windows will have to have a bit more protection than his. I am going to use the same concept as his though and I have all the wood for it. I just ran out of time this weekend.
 
I love how it is looking though. I do admit it has finally hit me that this is not much of a playhouse as it is a mini-house. Oh well, they will love it even if its not perfect. Its a far cry from the piece of wood and scraps we nailed to a tree when we were little and called it a playhouse. hahaha. Then again, my kids will have to come inside to go pee. Our playhouse was by the old outhouse on our property. Handy for us it was still a usable outhouse after all those years, but my kids will have to be all modern and use the regular potty. Not sure they will ever see a real outhouse in their lifetimes.
 
I digress. I am trying to be interesting given I have such a lack of photos for this entry. Progress is being made though. I WILL finish this soon. Even if I have to work every night on it!

No comments: