Sunday, March 13, 2011

And So I Begin

I went to big Blue on Friday night. I had only about 45 minutes until they closed, but I had my list in hand and I was ready! I purchased all the wood I needed to build my first project. I am going to begin with a farmhouse table. I also splurged on myself (with money outside the challenge) and bought myself some new earphones. My old ear protection was okay, but I had to then turn up my radio really loud to hear it over the muffling that obviously happens with hearing protection. Well, I bought myself one that has a built it AM/FM radio and a port for me to plug in my MP3 player (if I had one) or my phone even if I have music on there. For now, I am using it for just FM radio. The sound is great and I still get great muffling of the power tool noise. :-).

Saturday I had to work in the morning and then by the time I could stop and get out to the garage the kids were up and it was dinner time and then it was time to sleep finally. So today, Sunday I was determined to begin. Part of the challenge to really capture all costs involved. This includes my time. So not only will I tract my costs to the penny, but also my time as well. Today I was able to cut all of the wood except the last 7 boards which will be the actual table top.

I was very happy with my statistics so far.

Wood for project - $48.32 (yes, that is buying all the wood for the table!)
Time to cut almost all wood to length. 2 hours 10 minutes. (It took a bit to figure out how to cut some of it since they are heavier woods than I am used to).

Its a great beginning even if I would have liked to be faster at cutting it all. I did most all the cuts with the circular saw except the 2 x 2s which were light enough I could use my table saw with my sled jig thing on there. Makes it so I don't have to most the stuff from in front of my miter saw. :-) Some day I am going to sell that one and upgrade to a compound miter saw.

Anyway. Here is my progress so far. :-)


Once I get done cutting the 2x6s to length then I will be ready to begin to screw it all together! I can't wait!!