Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Progress

First off I want to thank the great Anna. It is from Anna White that I got the plans for this table. Everything about her can be found on her website http://ana-white.com/ . Typically I draw up my own plans or take a mash-up of many people's plans and then make my own from there. This is one of the few times where I am actually using a plan from someone EXACTLY as they have it. If you remember the low loft bed I built for my son, you know I got that from Anna as well, but I made some modifications to make it a low loft bed and changed up the ladder.

But this time, I am not. I don't plan on changing a thing. Because of that, I have to give this shout out to her since I do intent to sell this. Normally I would only sell from my own design, but for this challenge I wanted to start out with something I knew I could do and I knew the cost up front. Anna's plans are simple and wonderful and are a great starting point for anyone wanting to try some of this on their own.

Progress has been slow, but with kids and life sucking job, there is precious little time I can give to this challenge. Monday I took on my first challenge. The NOTCH. I watched a few How-To videos. I did the first one, and it went really well. But then it happened.....I wanted to test to see if the 2x4 would fit into the notch. It was a bit tight and I tapped it a bit. And then.........


Ooops!!!! Well, that was a good lesson for me. I then decided to make my notches just a HAIR wider so I wouldn't accidentally do this again!

I am happy to say my next set of notches went much better!



I was only able to spend about 1.5 hours on those notches. The learning curve was pretty massive and I was pretty done at that point.

Tonight I was able to do a LOT more. Since I knew what I was doing and I had finally figured out the system, I turned out a lot more in a short amount of time. Again I only had 1.5 hours tonight, but I cut out the other 2 notches for the inside legs and then cut all 4 of the outside legs. Or was in the outside and 4 of the inside legs. Either way, I got a lot more done. My notches were starting to look pretty good by the end of it. :-)


If I can keep getting an hour in the garage or more each night, I should be able to have the table done and built by the end of this weekend. Woohoo!!!

No comments: