Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Crunching Numbers

I have calculated the total cost of this project so far. I am actually calculating it based on what I used for the project and not what I spent in total. For example, I bought a quart of stain for $7.18 but I only used 1/2 of a quart for the project. Thus I am only putting $3.59 toward the cost of the table. I will be able to use the other half a can of stain on a different project or even on a bench assuming I need to build one to sell with the table.

Here is the breakdown thus far.....

Wood - $48.32
2 lbs of 2.5 inch #8 screws  - $11.88 (each box of screws is 1 lb and I used nearly all of 2 boxes)
6, 4inch #8 screws - $6.00 (these things were SPENDY!)
3 sets of plastic gloves for staining - .84 cents (yes I was totally up even these little costs)
Wood Conditioner, 1/10 of a quart - $1.10 (I probably used less than 1/10th of the quart but I made a guesstimate)
Stain, 1/2 of a quart - $3.59
Sandpaper about 4 sheets used - $2.12
Poly, 1/8 of a quart - $1.25

Total - $75.10

I am not adding in cost of wear and tear on my tools or my time which was less than 8 hours. Nor am I counting things I had on hand like brushes and paint thinner to clean the brushes etc.

But I do wonder what I can sell the table for online. Its beautiful and HEAVY, but I have not built any bench seats or chairs. Can you sell a table without that stuff?? 

No comments: